That's my story, and I'm Sticking With It

No fighting, No biting, No bloodletting. Just be excellent to each other.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Four Years On

I was struck by just how similar the weather was yesterday to what it had been like four years ago. The same, crisp, cool morning without a cloud in the sky or a hint of haze. Again, as it had that morning, it struck me how terribly inappropriate the weather was, that it should have been gray, damp, and cold. Weather to fit the gravity of what happened on that day. The terrorists didn’t just bring down the towers; they ruined beautiful fall mornings for me.

There were memorials abounding on the web sites I visit regularly. One in particular struck me. I think it was on LGF. It was a simple editorial cartoon showing two New York City Firefighters climbing a set of stairs. The landing has a sign that reads just “51.” There is a pair of women’s shoes on one of the steps below them. At the bottom of the cartoon is the face of a woman, looking back up at them, her mouth open as if she is going to say something, and a look of sadness in her eyes. Simple, direct, and powerful.

That was incredible heroism, beyond what we should expect of any mortal, and yet what still amazes me was that behavior like that was the rule rather than the exception on 9/11. Now, when I hear the New Orleans Police Chief try to make excuses for the 30+% of his officers that didn’t show up to work after Katrina hit, I want to yell at the TV. “You took an oath! You didn’t say you would protect and serve only when it was convenient! Your officers have disgraced the uniforms that they wear!”

Uncommon heroism, not to be expected, and yet, in a way, it has set a standard. How can anyone wear the uniform of a police officer or firefighter and not be aware of the incredibly high standard established by those brave men and women marching up those stairs to what they must have known would be their deaths, just on the chance that they might be able to save a few more people?

When I joined the Marines, our D.I. would come in every night and read us a bedtime story. It was always the Medal of Honor Citation for some Marine who had won that award. The message was unspoken, but clear. “These are the men whose company you want to join. By earning the right to wear the uniform, they are your brothers. Are you worthy?”

September 11th, 2001. May we never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home