That's my story, and I'm Sticking With It

No fighting, No biting, No bloodletting. Just be excellent to each other.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Be Still....

At work, one of the senior techs has been out for over a month. Back in July, his wife was in a terrible car crash that left her paralyzed from the waste down. She cam home from the hospital on Friday, and he came in this afternoon to handle some odds and ends in preparation for his return to work after the holiday.

He brought his wife with him.

P-- had worked here briefly in the spring, so she’s a little more than the disembodied voice on the phone that most of the techs wives are. On hearing that she was here, I had to go out and chat with her for the moment that my schedule allowed.

She was looking much better than I expected, and despite her terrible injury, she seemed to be in good spirits. In a way, that hit me harder than it would have otherwise. I can’t help but think that C-- is living through my worst nightmare. Isn’t it funny, just a week ago, I was wondering if I still wanted to be married to Mags, and yet today I was shocked to the core by just the idea that something might happen to her.

After they had left, I felt the need to call Mags just to tell her I love her. I also suddenly couldn’t stomach the radio playing in the background, so I’ve had to shut it off.

In the words of the philosopher, “Funny ol’ thing, Life.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home