That's my story, and I'm Sticking With It

No fighting, No biting, No bloodletting. Just be excellent to each other.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Death and Duty

In the movie, "Forrest Gump," Gary Sinise played Lt. Dan Taylor; a man convinced he had been robbed of his destiny of dying gloriously in battle. In many ways I know how the character feels. There is a saying, it feels old, although I first ran into it in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series: "Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain." I had to read a friend the riot act last night, and I'm feeling depressed about it this morning.

Had I had the chance to go to battle when it was my turn in '90, I might not have survived the experience. This would all be over now, and I wouldn't have to worry about the multitude of problems that seem to be piling up. Yes, I would have missed some pretty incredible times, but somehow, from the middle of a time of troubles, those annis mirablis seem distant and hazy. The problems are closing in on me, and although I know things will look bright again, I can't see the light in the distance.

A glorious death in battle would have meant an end to these cares. I would be safely in heaven, without these things to worry about. Still, I have to hold on to the thought that there is still something I need to do here before I can take that rest. The heavy duty still has a claim on me.


DEATH is stronger than all the governments because the governments are men and men die and then death laughs: Now you see ’em, now you don’t.

Death is stronger than all proud men and so death snips proud men on the nose, throws a pair of dice and says: Read ’em and weep.

Death sends a radiogram every day: When I want you I’ll drop in—and then one day he comes with a master-key and lets himself in and says: We’ll go now.

Death is a nurse mother with big arms: ’Twon’t hurt you at all; it’s your time now; you just need a long sleep, child; what have you had anyhow better than sleep?
- Carl Sandburg
Death Snips Proud Men

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home