That's my story, and I'm Sticking With It

No fighting, No biting, No bloodletting. Just be excellent to each other.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

What a Difference a Day Makes...

What a difference a day makes. Despite my misgivings last night, we ended up going to the Demo today, and had a great time. What struck me about the experience afterwards, and talking it over with Mags afterwards reinforced this, was that we spent very little time today actually interacting with each other. Mags spent most of the day on the field, while I was busy playing "tour guide" to the mundanes who had wandered into our world and were fascinated and overwhelmed by what they encountered. During down time, we even ended up talking with different groups of friends.
The trip home was full of laughter and understanding, including the kind of talk that I remember from the early days of our marriage. Looking back on this, the idea that we needed to withdraw from the world and work on our marriage was perhaps the worst idea that we have ever come up with. Maybe it says something about our marriage, but I have come to the realization that we need to bring our differing experiences to the table.
I’m going to wait until the counciling appointment Tuesday evening before making any further decisions, because I really don’t want to mess this up, but I don’t think we can afford to sit alone and try to "work on us" to the exclusion of the outside world.
I’ve also come to the realization that I really do love my wife, and that there is a difference between saying, "I don’t want to be married to you any longer." And "This behavior is unacceptable, and I can’t stay with you unless it changes."
Nibs had spoken with me extensively about her rediscovering boundaries in her life. I’m starting to realize that it is perfectly acceptable, even necessary, to have boundaries with the one you love.
I know, I know, "Duh!" but this is new territory for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home